Springtime Sage Green & Vintage Lace Wedding Dress



This is springtime bride Julie (and her husband), who, as the title suggests, wore a sage green silk dress with a vintage-y looking nude/oyster coloured lace overlay.

When Julie first came to see me, she wasn't looking for anything traditionally bridal in colour, and was originally thinking of  a richer blue or green colour, with comfort being a priority for her. We looked at a few green and blue laces but none hit the spot, so I suggested that she go on an exploration of some of the fabric shops in London to see if anything caught her eye. (I often send people off with a list of potential shops if I have nothing in the studio that matches their ideas.)


It did, and Julie came back with a small piece of the lace she'd found to show me, but as I recall, there wasn't much of it left on the roll in the shop. We discussed and revised the design again and I advised her to buy the remaining piece of lace and said that I would draft the dress pattern to fit in with the amount of remaining lace she had bought. I always naturally take in to account the shape and pattern of the fabric being used, but not as stringently as I did for this dress! We needed to keep it simple to use the fabric effectively. Luckily Julie was happy with a simple design, and the lace looked great as a result.


The under-layer colour was chosen after the lace was finalised to a shot sage-green/gold-ish silk Dupion which complemented the lace perfectly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not drowning, but waving...

Late summer walk...

Summer bride