Purest Green





Outside I can see so many lovely shades of green, more faded yellowy-green as befits early Autumn than the fresher blue-greens of spring, soon to be gone for a season or turned to brown by a plough. Brown is good too of course, it is the colour of chocolate after all, but green is such a relaxing and invigorating colour I think.

Last week I had an inspiring appointment with a potential client. Afterwards I was left with the impression that this was someone who was definitely doing 'her thing' for her wedding day.


Mentioning no names, she will be wearing green, possibly carrying a bouquet that includes mint.


That really caught my imagination and I was left with an impression of a zingy green theme, of invigorating green.


I've made several green dresses for weddings in the past, and I'm often unhelpfully reminded that green for weddings is often thought to be unlucky. Just so you know - I don't think this. Anyway, it prompted me to do some (light) research into why this should be so.


I found this poem here:
Married in White, you have chosen right,
Married in Blue, your love will always be true,
Married in Pearl, you will live in a whirl,
Married in Brown, you will live in town,
Married in Red, you will wish yourself dead,
Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow,
Married in Green, ashamed to be seen,
Married in Pink, your spirit will sink,
Married in Grey, you will go far away,
Married in Black, you will wish yourself back.
So if you're into this sort of thing, then it looks like white and blue are the safest, and pearl - maybe - depending on what sort of 'whirl' it might be that you end up living in. Brown is good too, if you love towns.

After finding this ditty, I continued reading as you do, and noticed that it is also thought to be unlucky for the bride to make her own dress (check) and to hear a cockerel crow before the wedding (check), as well as marrying in May (check)...

Do any of you possess further information about these customs and/or superstitions? I'd be interested to know more about them if so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not drowning, but waving...

Late summer walk...

New Collection Wedding Dress - Margot